The Prince George’s County Memorial Library System (PGCMLS) is seeking a librarian who is passionate about library services for children and families and making a real difference. The successful candidate will lead a department of five librarians/associates in providing community-responsive programs in Hyattsville, Maryland.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Oversees and supervises library branch staff in supervisory line; monitors and evaluates job performance; oversees staff training and development, as needed.
- Oversees library information/circulation services desk, as needed.
- Plans and prioritizes service for customers at library branch.
- Provides reference, reader’s advisory, and computer assistance to library customers and provides instruction on the use of library catalog and databases.
- Promotes library services and collections to library customers.
- Manages customer relations and resolves any escalated customer issues and conflicts.
- Participates in the maintenance and development of the library collection by weeding assigned areas and identifying library materials in need of replacement.
- Manages department staff weekly schedule.
- Processes material lists including missing items.
- Maintains library collection and places orders for new books and materials.
- Keeps abreast of current library policies and procedures.
- Participates in community outreach as needed.
- Performs circulation desk duties as needed.
- Oversees programming for library customers as needed.
- Maintains neat and organized workspace and ensures customer materials are returned to proper locations at the end of each day.
- Performs routine data entry including entering customer information into library database.
- Prepares correspondences and reports.
- Creates and maintains office files and department records appropriately.
- Trains new staff as needed.
- Acts as an ambassador and advocate for the library.
- Attends meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Continuous Learning – seeks out and assumes responsibility for learning and development opportunities that benefit self and PGCMLS.
- Customer Service – creates a welcoming environment, maintains effective relationships, and uses all available resources to assist customers.
- Communication – understands and applies the library’s mission, vision, and policies, and communicates effectively both within and outside the library system.
- Ethics and Values – treats all with respect and honesty, is a responsible steward of resources, knows and respects customer privacy and confidentiality policies.
- Leadership – willing to try new ideas to achieve the system’s goals, adaptable to change, accountable, keeps PGCMLS’s goals, mission, and customers front and center in daily work.
- Develops Others – provides opportunities for staff, including training and delegation.
- Empowers Staff – fosters collaboration, support for new ideas, encourages innovation, allows staff to learn from mistakes in non-punitive settings.
- Leadership – sets high standards and models what’s expected, maintains positive attitude, fosters environment of integrity and high ethical standards.
- Manages Department or Branch Function – thoroughly understands the entire function and effectively manages day-to-day functions.
- Manages Department Staff Performance – provides clear expectations and holds staff accountable, is fair and consistent, uses good interpersonal skills to direct staff’s work.
- Acts According to Legal and Policy Requirements – understands and complies with employment laws and regulations, ensures compliance with HR policies and procedures and promotes effective labor relations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s practices, policies and procedures.
- Ability to act as a representative of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s to the public.
- Considerable knowledge of literature, reference and information materials, publishers, and periodicals required.
- Knowledge of public library reference tools, including web and database searching.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and with volunteers.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Word, electronic databases, e-mail, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security/alarm systems.
- Maryland Professional Public Librarian certificate required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required.
Education and Experience:
- Master of Library and Information Science or comparable degree (M.I.S, M.L.S, or M.L.I.S.) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program required.
- Three to five years of related experience including working in a library setting required.
- Three years of supervisory experience required.
Salary/year: $64,420.00 – $74,055.00
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting which provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other materials (up to 20 pounds) may be required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
This and all PGCMLS positions are subject to transfer, based on library need.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Apply online at https://ww1.pgcmls.info/website/employment-1297.
- Attach cover letter and resume.
- Complete pre-employment assessment.
- Online application, cover letter, resume, and assessment must be received by December 7, 2018.