Librarian III – Owings Mills Branch
At BCPL, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 11 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL as a full-time Librarian III.
- Assists customers in finding answers to a broad range of questions through use of print and on-line resources
- Guides customers in selecting appropriate materials for reading/viewing/listening either for personal pleasure or professional development
- Assists customers with technology related requests for service including e-reader devices
- Develops and maintains a portion of the Library’s collection
- Plans and presents library-related programs and outreach services
- Serves on teams and committees within the branch and system-wide
- As needed, serves as Librarian in Charge by handling customer complaints and resolving facilities issues
- Supports innovation by embracing change, being flexible and anticipating customers’ needs
- Demonstrates initiative by being a self-starter, rethinking processes, and effectively solving problems
- Demonstrates a commitment to teamwork by being an effective communicator and engaging in respectful and productive work relationships
- Actively pursues continuous learning by participating in training opportunities and sharing knowledge in the workplace
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Successful completion of the Library Associates Training Institute (LATI) or an MLS from an ALA accredited school within two years of date of hire
- Knowledge of public library services and operations gained through one year of service as a Librarian
- Knowledge of print, electronic and online information resources
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with customers, community groups and co-workers of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to plan, organize and present a variety of activities and presentations
- Ability to demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers
- Must pass post offer criminal background check
- Existing BCPL Librarian II’s who have completed the probationary period and who have demonstrated commitment can apply with their supervisor’s recommendation.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes 4 weeks of vacation and other paid leave, a variety of subsidized health care options, pension eligibility, and other related benefits. Annualized Salary: $44,023. – $58,967. Commensurate with experience.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach two documents: 1) a completed BCPL employment application which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs and 2) your cover letter and resume as one PDF document. Include your last name in the title of the documents. Indicate the job title Librarian III in the subject line of your email.
Documents must be received by December 19, 2017. Vacancy #: 2018-063