At BCPL, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 10 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL in this position.
This is a full time position, working 40 hours a week with some evenings and weekends.
– Assists customers in finding answers to a broad range of questions through use of print and on-line resources.
– Guides customers in selecting appropriate materials for reading/viewing/listening either for personal pleasure or professional development.
– Assists customers with technology related requests for service including e-reader devices.
– Develops and maintains a portion of the Library’s collection.
– Plans and presents library-related programs and outreach services.
– Serves on teams and committees within the branch and system-wide.
– As needed, serves as Librarian in Charge by handling customer complaints and resolving facilities issues.
– Supports innovation by embracing change, being flexible and anticipating customers’ needs.
– Demonstrates initiative by being a self-starter, rethinking processes, and effectively solving problems.
– Demonstrates a commitment to teamwork by being an effective communicator and engaging in respectful and productive work relationships.
– Actively pursues continuous learning by participating in training opportunities and sharing knowledge in the workplace.
– Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college.
– Successful completion of the Library Associates Training Institute (LATI) or an MLS from an ALA accredited school within two years of date of hire.
– Knowledge of public library services and operations gained through one year of service as a Librarian.
– Knowledge of print, electronic and online information resources.
– Ability to establish and maintain relationships with customers, community groups and co-workers of diverse backgrounds.
– Ability to plan, organize and present a variety of activities and presentations.
– Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills.
– Ability to stand at a public service desk for lengthy periods of time and move throughout the branch, the ability to bend, lift up to 25 pounds and push or pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 pounds.
– Ability to bend, kneel, crouch and stretch for extended periods of time.
– A commitment to customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
– Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers.
– Must pass post-offer background screening.
Please Note: This position closes on June 20, 2019.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes 4 weeks of vacation,sick and personal leave,subsidized health care options,
pension eligibility, and related benefits.