At BCPL, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 11 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL in this position.
This is a full time position, working 40 hours a week with some evenings and weekends.
1. Assists customers in finding answers to a broad range of questions through use of print and on-line resources.
2. Guides customers in selecting appropriate materials for reading/viewing/listening either for personal pleasure or professional development.
3. Assists customers with technology related requests for service including e-reader devices.
4. Develops and maintains a portion of the Library’s collection.
5. Plans and presents library-related programs and outreach services.
6. Serves on teams and committees within the branch and system-wide.
7. As needed, serves as Librarian in Charge by handling customer complaints and resolving facilities issues.
8. Supports innovation by embracing change, being flexible and anticipating customers’ needs.
9. Demonstrates initiative by being a self-starter, rethinking processes, and effectively solving problems.
10. Demonstrates a commitment to teamwork by being an effective communicator and engaging in respectful and productive work relationships.
11. Actively pursues continuous learning by participating in training opportunities and sharing knowledge in the workplace.
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Successful completion of the Library
Associates Training Institute (LATI) or an MLS from an ALA accredited school within three years of date of hire.
3. Knowledge of public library services and operations.
4. Knowledge of print, electronic and online information resources.
5. A commitment to excellent customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
6. Ability to plan, organize and present a variety of activities and presentations.
7. Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills.
8. Ability to stand at a public service desk for lengthy periods of time and move throughout the branch, the ability to bend, lift up to 25 pounds and push or pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 pounds.
9. Ability to bend, kneel, crouch and stretch for extended periods of time.
10. Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers.
11. Must pass post-offer criminal background screening.
Please Note: This position closes on March 4, 2019.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes 4 weeks of vacation,sick and personal leave,subsidized health care options,
pension eligibility, and related benefits.
For more details and application, please visit: