University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Reference and Instruction Librarian. UMUC is one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM). UMUC is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is “Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Provide basic and in-depth research assistance to UMUC students, faculty and staff in a variety of formats and provide subject matter expertise
- Teach information literacy skills and create and revise instructional materials as
- Perform liaison activities with faculty and administrators in The Graduate School’s Education department in support of Library resources and services and represent the UMUC Library on USMAI committees
- Participate in the Library’s Reference and Instruction projects including developing
- and designing Web-based learning objects to support academic programs, and searching for and selecting Open Educational Resources
- Perform other job related duties as assigned
- All candidates must be willing to work onsite at the Academic Center in Largo, Maryland. Relocation and travel expenses not covered by UMUC.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master of Library Science, Information Science, or similar degree from an ALA accredited institution
- Knowledge and experience in using research resources including databases, e-books, web sites, etc.
- Knowledge of information literacy trends, practices, and issues
- Knowledge of trends, practices, and issues in distance learning
- Ability to communicate both orally and in written formats
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work one night a week and a week-end day in rotation with other team members
- Library experience, preferably in an academic library setting
- Experience using technology in the delivery of reference and instruction
- Experience working with faculty in an academic library setting
All submissions should include:
- Cover letter
UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare.