District of Columbia International School (DCI) is a public charter middle and high school in DC. We aim to provide our students with a world-class education that empowers them to follow their passions and change the world. DCI’s education centers on the:
- International Baccalaureate curriculum framework;
- Advanced language learning in Chinese, Spanish and French; and
- A culture focused on student agency supported by 1:1 technology.
We currently serve 800 racially and economically diverse students in grades 6-10. We have moved to our beautiful new building on the Walter Reed campus, where we will grow into a 6-12 middle and high school and serve 1500 students.
While only in our fourth year, DCI has become an IB World School and has been rated Tier 1, the highest rating by the Public Charter School Board. We are dramatically increasing our staff in 2017-18 and look forward to receiving your application. Come join a great team building a great school!
DCI is hiring a part-time or full-time Librarian. Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. You will need to pass a background check. No phone calls please.
Position Overview: This position is for our first Librarian, who will create our program and collection (which will be largely online). The librarian has the primary responsibility for the functions of the school library: evaluation and selection; ordering and processing; utilization of media; and the instructional role, which includes both formal and information instruction in library, media and technology information skills as well as assistance to students and staff in location, evaluating and using library media materials and technologies.
Qualifications: A four year bachelor’s degree in any field. A Master’s of Library Science degree preferred. At least one year of librarian experience preferred.
The Librarian will:
- Consider new ways to promote reading including downloadable audio books, playaways, Kindles, iPads, Nooks
- Share ebook apps with students for their mobile devices.
- Be an information expert in the school – will know a shifting array of search tools that reach into blogs and wikis and Twitter and images and media and scholarly content and…
- Have the skills to create a blog or website or wiki or portal of some other type to pull together resources to meet the specific needs of your learning community.
- Ensure your learners and teachers can (physically & intellectually) access developmentally and curricularly databases, portals, websites, blogs, videos, and other media.
- Help learners put together their own personal information portals and Knowledge Building Centers to support their research and learning, using widgets, embedded media, and personal information portals like iGoogle,PageFlakes ,and NetVibes and wikis and Google Sites
- Have a genuine love for books and the desire to share that love with students
- Interest and desire to engage in the IB MYP and language immersion
- Ability to do the professional development work needed to deliver instruction at a high level.
- Collaborate with general and special educators, coordinators, and leadership
- High degree of communication through a variety of mediums with parents and students
- Embrace French, Spanish, and Chinese cultures by leading and participating in cultural activities for faculty and students
- Ensure that our 1:1 Chromebooks program is implemented effectively for students by infusing technology into instruction
- Other duties as assigned
DCI faculty and staff embrace the rigor and commitment necessary to build a shared culture and vision. We want you to join our team dedicated to social justice, environmental stewardship, diversity, internationalism, and interdisciplinary education as reflected in the International Baccalaureate curriculum framework. We expect that all of our students can achieve academically at the very highest levels. Our mission statement reflects our core values: DC International School inspires inquiring, engaged, knowledgeable and caring secondary students who are multi-lingual, culturally competent, and committed to proactively creating a socially just and sustainable world.
Faculty and Staff Development/Benefits:
DCI is committed to the principles of servant leadership and to providing faculty and staff with the resources and training they need to provide an excellent education experience for every student and family.
- We have a benefits package that includes health and disability insurance and paid leave.
- We offer teachers daily planning time, professional development, and reasonable class sizes.
- Teachers and staff have the appropriate technology and support to do their work.
DC International School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and multilingual environment.