Corestaff Services is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Librarian at a Museum facility. The position is located in Washington, DC: however, the position may relocate to suburban Maryland in 2019. The Librarian is part of a multi-year government contract. Present funding extends through September 30, 2019.
The Librarian is required to support various projects and activities to prepare existing library collections for the expansion of research services and for the relocation of some library operations to a second facility. Assignments may include activities in one or more of the functional areas described below:
Collections Management/Digital Access
- Conducts labeling, binding, rehousing, circulation, shelving, and/or inventory activities, to ensure the security and preservation of materials, to promote access, and to maximize use of space.
- Tracks locations of collections using the appropriate systems or tracking tools, and reports discrepancies in location information.
- Applies best practices in handling collections to prevent damage to fragile and rare materials, assesses and documents condition issues, and recommends conservation assessment.
- Develops and/or manages a plan to reassign and relocate library materials.
- Applies standards in digitizing and managing digital assets, prepares and records metadata, and undertakes quality control of digital copies.
- Examines and evaluates library resources for selection or retention based on existing holdings and in accordance with the Collection Development Policy.
- Performs cataloging, including descriptive cataloging, subject cataloging, classification assignment, and shelflisting, for library materials in a variety of languages and formats.
- Recommends new and modified name headings, subject headings, and classification numbers for contribution to the Library of Congress authority files and classification schedules.
- Applies current national and institutional cataloging rules, standards, and practices, and utilizes appropriate cataloging tools and reference sources.
- Advises researchers about use of and access to collections, and on duplication policies.
- Creates thorough, accurate, timely, and well-documented responses to reference and copy requests, reflecting knowledge of the collections and expertise in the field of Holocaust studies.
- Supports reading room operations, including technology.
- MLIS and at least one year of experience, or equivalent knowledge and experience (at least three years)
- Experience cataloging in an integrated library system or other cataloging system
- Experience providing reference services to various kinds of researchers
- Experience handling, assessing condition, and housing rare and/or fragile materials
- Experience managing a large or complex collection
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; attention to detail; flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances
- Excellent communications skills, and the ability to work effectively in a team or independently
- Reading knowledge of at least one European language and/or Hebrew or Yiddish
- Knowledge of the history of the Holocaust and related subject matter.
This is a full time position for one year with benefits, including ten paid federal holidays, paid vacation and paid sick leave. Corestaff Services provides ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliant subsidized health insurance and a company sponsored 401(k) plan.
Corestaff Services is a nationwide professional staffing services firm, specializing in administrative/clerical, information technology and engineering, library/records management and human resources placement.
Corestaff Services is an Equal Opportunity Employment Employer. People from racial minority groups, veterans and the disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
For consideration email your resume to email@example.com