LAC Group is seeking a Librarian to join our team working at a federal information center in Arlington, VA. The Librarian will conduct comprehensive reference, research, evaluative and instructional services to the center’s clientele. This is a long-term, full-time (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) benefited contract opportunity. We are seeking candidates who are available to start ASAP.
- Ensures positive customer experiences and customer service by providing attentive, timely, professional and courteous resolution of informational queries at the Information Center service desk;
- Handles reference queries and online searching for the catalog for titles; refers intermediate to advanced level reference and research queries to Senior Librarian, as needed;
- Conducts various circulation activities including registering patrons, checking library materials in and out, and re-shelving materials;
- Partners with Senior Librarian in development and management of website content;
- Performs basic and copy cataloging of library materials using an integrated library system;
- Interprets and applies library policies following established procedures — also documents all procedural changes and regularly updates the Information Center Procedures Manual and associated information online and in print;
- Tallies and records all service transactions as they occur; compile regular reports to clients using the integrated library system in collaboration with Senior Librarian;
- Provides library orientations to visitors and explains library policies, upon request;
- Participates in the development, production, and coordination of library outreach materials, initiatives, and programming;
- Conducts regular stacks maintenance and shelf reading of library materials;
- Opens and closes the Information Center, as required.
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited graduate program or significant graduate-level coursework in systems, digital and cataloging/metadata librarianship, or library service best practices;
- In-depth knowledge and 1-2 years’ experience in two or more functional areas of library/information center work, such as digital libraries; information technology; school library media; collection development and management; serials management; cataloging; and reference;
- Knowledge and practical experience of library and information science theory and practice, effective application of current and emerging library technologies and platforms, including familiarity with the management of a web-based integrated library services platform;
- Intuitive skills in customer service orientation, creative outreach, time management, professional collaboration, active listening, speaking, critical thinking, and decision-making;
- Strong competency in use of document production software; ability in writing and basic coding for the Web; experience with MS SharePoint preferred;
- Knowledge of copyright laws and pertinent copyright restrictions as needed to oversee the copyright clearance process and to provide guidance on copyright matters to patrons of the Library;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Cross-cultural communication competencies, sensitivity to cultural diversity and experience working in a multicultural environment;
- Preferred: knowledge of Foreign Affairs and International Relations, as well as world geography and world history.
To apply, please visit: https://lac.gp/341i4zM