This position is a 1.0 FTE located at Oakridge School. The Librarian is a building level teaching professional, library manager, 21st Century Skills specialist, and instructional partner who supports the mission of the school library program, ensuring that all students and staff adopt reading for choice as a life-long pursuit and are effective users of ideas and information. Librarians recognize the role of information literacy within the overall curriculum by collaborating with teachers, specialists, and Instructional Technology Coordinators to provide integrated instructional strategies to students. Librarians provide instruction which coordinates Virginia Standards of Learning and Arlington Public Schools’ Strategic Goals with national standards. Librarians report to the building principal and are often a primary contact point for Digital Citizenship instruction. Librarians also work with their counterparts in other schools and the Supervisor of Library Services for professional development and to ensure that system-wide initiatives are integrated into the activity of the school community.
- Must have or be eligible for Virginia licensure.
- School Library endorsement.
- Masters in Library Science or minimum of 24 semester hours in school library media preparation.
- Provides instruction in locating, analyzing, and effectively using information resources for all curriculum needs.
- Collaborates and partners with teaching staff to deliver ongoing instruction in the acquisition of information literacy skills, tied to APS curriculum.
- Encourages students and teachers to maximize the use of information in various formats, including electronic as well as print, and promotes the ethical use of information technology.
- Selects and evaluates resources which provide a wide variety of materials to meet the interests and learning needs of the entire school community.
- Customizes instruction to serve diverse learning populations through varying instructional activities, integrating appropriate technology and promoting models of information acquisition and use.
- Integrates fiction and nonfiction works into lesson design, is knowledgeable about children’s and young adult literature, and motivates students to appreciate reading as a lifelong activity.
- Provides orientation and training to all students and staff concerning library services and resources, including the use of all features of the APS OPAC, known as the Arlington County Online Resource Network (ACORN).
- Serves as the Interlibrary Loan contact for the building and is a primary contact for instruction and access to various technologies, including video, audio and online resources.
- Administers library program functions such as scheduling, budget, supplies, reports, and ongoing collection development.
- Maintains, manages, organizes and supervises the library collection, including the acquisition and withdrawal of materials as necessary.
- Supervises and trains library assistants/secretaries, students and volunteers who work in the library.
- Promotes and publicizes the use of the library as an environment for learning and enjoyment, including regular communication with the greater school community regarding library activities and programs.
- As a school faculty member, actively participates in school committees, partners in school and community events, and serves as an advocate of the school and public library programs.
- Arranges library programming such as Family Literacy Nights and Author visits to embed reading for choice and literacy into the school program as a whole.
- Contributes to the planning of library construction and renovation.
- Ability to interact with students, teachers and administrators in a positive, collaborative manner.
- High familiarity with and use of emergent technologies in the field of Library Science and Instruction.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development through membership in professional organizations, enrolling in continuing education courses, attending conferences and training workshops and working with counterparts and colleagues.
- Select “CERTIFIED” under job categories
- Then “Elementary School”
- Finally, under Certified Position Types Librarian is the 5th listing on the page