Corestaff Services is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Information Specialist at a Museum facility. The position is located in Washington, DC. The position is part of a multi-year contract. Present funding for the position is for the duration of one year.
The Information Specialist is required to support research and reference services and data management projects. Assignments may include activities in one or more of the functional areas described below:
Research and Reference Services
– Conducts basic research services for patrons and staff who contact the museum by email, telephone, mai
- l, online form, or in-person in the public space, using multiple resources including specialized research databases, the museum’s collections catalog, and relevant reference materials.
- Provides in-person services in the museum’s public space, as assigned or needed.
- Surveys archival collections for inclusion in a major indexing project.
- Distributes registration forms to Holocaust survivors, or family members and friends on behalf of survivors, and provides information about the registration process.
- Performs other research and reference duties, as assigned.
- Catalogs Holocaust-related name lists from the museum’s collections in a specialized database.
1. Catalogs list records while adhering to standards developed specifically for the database.
2. Fills out appropriate fields and attaches appropriate images.
3. Updates the cataloging spreadsheet for tracking purposes.
- Assists in preparing name indexes for import to the database.
1. Normalizes and cleans data using Excel and Access programs.
2. Ensures data quality before importing to the database.
- Links digitized documents to existing name records in the database.
– Identifies digitized documents available in the museum’s digital repository.
– Matches the digitized documents to the appropriate name records.
– Indexes and adds missing names, if needed.
– Prepares Excel worksheets and/or Access files to import to the database.
- Assists in cleaning and updating existing catalog records or name records in the database.
- Performs other database management duties, as assigned
- Graduate Degree in History, Library Science, or other related field and at least one year of experience, or equivalent knowledge and experience (at least three years)
- Excellent technical skills in using computer programs, especially Google Suite, Microsoft Access and Excel.
- Experience in the use of databases for conducting research, cataloging, and data management.
- Excellent organizational skills and communications skills; attention to detail; flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Demonstrated patience and sensitivity to respond courteously and to deal effectively with Holocaust survivors and their families, Museum donors, and members of the general public searching for the fates of relatives.
- Reading knowledge of at least one European language, especially German, and/or Hebrew or Yiddish.
- Knowledge of the history of the Holocaust, World War II, and related subject matter.
This is a full time position for one year with benefits, including ten paid federal holidays, paid vacation and paid sick leave. Corestaff Services provides ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliant subsidized health insurance and a company sponsored 401(k) plan.
Corestaff Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful under applicable law. Corestaff Services is not associated with Core Staffing Services, Inc. which operates in the New York metro area.
Submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org