The Langley School, a preschool through eighth grade coeducational day school in McLean, Virginia, seeks a collaborative, passionate, experienced, child-centered educator to serve as the head librarian. A successful candidate is someone who takes an innovative, instructional, and enthusiastic approach to learning and leadership. Our new head librarian will foster an active and inviting library space, one that is conducive to continual student, faculty, and community growth. Langley has devoted significant effort to defining its inquiry-based, student-centered approach to teaching and learning. As such, our head librarian will assume a leadership role in collaborating with teachers to invigorate literacy instruction.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong ability to perform these core responsibilities:
- Cultivate a hub for academic life within the library that inspires and supports student, faculty, parent, and community learning
- Provide direction, leadership, and planning to help teachers advance instruction and to support the alignment of curriculum to the library’s collections
- Facilitate the development of skills necessary for 21st-century learners, with a focus on investigation, critical evaluation of sources, citation methods, synthesis, and ethical use of information
- Foster a learning environment that is inclusive, equitable, and culturally responsive for grades PS-8
- Advance library-wide initiatives that incorporate innovative and emerging technologies into teaching and learning
- Confidently maintain, upgrade, and evaluate the ongoing effectiveness of the library’s media services, including the online public access catalog (OPAC), and databases and collections
- Contribute a sense of curiosity, creativity, and commitment to lifelong learning, helping to develop a program that promotes individual learning and inquiry
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in library science, three to five years of library experience or equivalent, excellent written and verbal communication skills, flexibility and enthusiasm to collaborate with colleagues, proven commitment to fostering an inclusive learning environment, superior technical proficiency, and a passion for working with children of all ages required.
Grounded in a deep respect for childhood, The Langley School offers an exceptional community and an inquiry-based academic curriculum paired with a unique social-emotional program for students in preschool through grade 8. Since 1942, The Langley School has shaped confident, kind, self-aware learners who are prepared to thrive in the nation’s top high schools and beyond. Langley remains committed to attracting and retaining exceptional faculty as members of our community who demonstrate respect for childhood, excitement about leadership in education, and a desire to work in a highly collaborative environment.
The Langley School offers highly competitive salaries, excellent benefits, robust professional development opportunities, and tuition remission for children of faculty and staff.
Please send a cover letter, resume, one-page statement of educational philosophy, and references to:
Director of Curriculum & Instruction
The Langley School
1411 Balls Hill Road
McLean, VA 22101
or via e-mail: email@example.com. (Please write “Head Librarian” in the subject line.)
No phone calls, please.