Backstage Library Works is seeking a cataloger to work on-site at the Library of Congress, processing Russian or Spanish language materials.
Catalogers will work with materials to create original MARC records according to the library’s RDA record guidelines. Prior to hiring, each cataloger must demonstrate knowledge of standard cataloging practice and moderate fluency in the language in which they will be specializing. We will not be accepting entry level candidates.
Catalogers may be hired as full-time hourly employees of Backstage Library Works, or as independent contractors working at a per-record rate (see below for details). All work must be performed on-site at the library but contract catalogers are encouraged to apply.
This project is expected to run through June, 2019. However, this is a short-term position, and each cataloger’s employment will conclude with the completion of their language category.
Catalogers should clearly state their language(s) of expertise in the cover letter.
- Perform original cataloging using RDA standard and local guidelines in MARC format
- Identify headings (name and subject) requiring authority work for referral to library staff
- Meet daily production levels and standards
- Make informed decisions within given specifications with little supervision
- Experience creating original RDA MARC records
- Demonstrated knowledge of the language with which cataloger will be working
- Experience working in Voyager ILS
- Strong understanding of library standards, including RDA, MARC21, and LCSH
- Strong knowledge of the Library of Congress Authority file
- Strong searching skills
- Attentiveness to detail and quality
- Work in a deadline-oriented, production environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently & productively
- Learn new skills quickly and thoroughly
- Basic familiarity with Windows & Microsoft Office suite
- Type speed minimum: 50+ wpm
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must pass a background check prior to appointment
Catalogers may be hired under one of two arrangements:
- The on-site worker is an independent contractor, paid per record created. Hours week-to-week can vary as long as project goals are being met.
- The on-site worker is a full-time employee of Backstage, paid $25.00 per hour. The cataloger works 40 hours per week and is responsible for meeting production requirements. Employees are eligible for paid time off and, after two calendar months, qualify for health benefits.
To apply, visit:
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Include the language(s) for which you are applying and your preference for working as a contractor or full-time employee.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.