|Director, Public Services|
|$122,750.00 – $171,849.00|
|Public Library, DC|
|901 G St NW (MLK Jr Memorial Library)|
|Open to the Public|
|7/6/2017 – 7/27/2017|
APPLICANTS MUST MEET ALL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO BE CONSIDERED
Type of appointment: Management Supervisory Service (MSS)
A position in the Management Supervisory Service (MSS) is “at will” employment. Appointees to the MSS serve at the will of the appointing Authority and may be removed at any time on 15-day notice.
Area of consideration: Open to the public
Primary Work Location
DC Public Library Administrative Offices
1990 K Street, NW – Suite 500
Washington, DC 20006
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- In concert with senior staff and other stakeholders, develop the Library’s strategic vision for public service
- Supervise and mentor all public services staff and support staff in programming and collections
- Implement new strategies to expand Library’s user base and improve access to the Library’s collections and services
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with other city agencies and like-missioned partners that can assist in excellent public service delivery
- Manage the public service elements of a complex multi-year central library renovation, including provision of interim service delivery
- Develop, interpret, and communicate library policies
- Motivate staff and inspire a strong customer service ethic
- Maintain a productive relationship with union leadership
- Represent the Library at government, industry and public forums
- Communicate library initiatives to elected officials, the media, and other stakeholders
- Maintain current knowledge with respect to library service provision best practices, both from academic sources and from peer organizations
- Create and manage the public service budget for the libraries including the preparation of estimates of projected needs for services and programs
- Make hiring decisions for public services and recommendations as appropriate on employee grievances and complaints
Tour of Duty/Work Hours: Full -time, 40 hours per week, as scheduled, including evenings and weekends.
A Master of Library Science degree from an accredited college or university is required.
Licensures, Certifications and other requirements
Please select not applicable (N/A) when responding to the pre-screening question.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in a public library environment, including at least three (3) years in management/leadership
- Experience in a large urban public library system is preferred
- Ability to provide leadership, motivation, and inspire innovation
- Superior presentation and communications skills
- Experience developing and managing strategic plans
- Ability to plan and direct the work of multidisciplinary professional and administrative staff
Experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties and responsibilities of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
Click here for additional information regarding this posting and other opportunities and services with the DC Public Library.
Click here to review additional Employment Disclosure & Information for Applicants.