The Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) seeks an individual to provide vision, leadership and strategic direction for a wide range of digital systems and services including new technology and library legacy technologies. The position is responsible for ensuring quality and reliable delivery of library technology systems and services and should encourage exploration in support of teaching, research, learning and collaboration for current and a new generation of library users. The position works closely with the UMBC Division of Information Technology, library and university personnel. The incumbent, as an Associate Director of the Kuhn Library & Gallery, will be part of the Library Executive Committee and have a voice in developing library policy for the 21st Century. The position reports to the Library Director.
- Develops a technology plan that builds on the University’s and Library’s strategic plans to address new opportunities and pursue possibilities of adapting and applying technology solutions.
- Participates in library planning; serves on library-wide and university committees and task forces including the Library Executive Council.
- Works in partnership with the campus Division of Information Technology for discovery, planning and implementation of new technology.
- Leads the library’s investigation and implementation of emerging technology to better serve the campus.
- Keeps current with trends and issues in the IT industry, including current technologies and costs.
- Provides leadership in coordinating and defining technology requirements for library-wide projects and initiatives.
- Oversees Library Information Technology Services composed of library faculty and staff and student employees and works with other areas of the library and university that are affiliated with technology.
- In partnership with the Division of Information Technology insures that library systems and computing are robust and operational.
Requirements: ALA accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree.
Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in IT-related project management in one or more of the following in an academic library setting:
- Database developmen
- Network engineering
- Hardware and software upgrades to mission critical applications
- Application development
Experience with library technologies and technology planning and demonstrated knowledge of current technology trends.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Evidence of leadership and management ability.
Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably and personably both orally and in writing.
Salary and Benefits: Position is a 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian II. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications. Minimum salary: $85,000 -$95,000 comprehensive benefits. The expected candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status.
Applications: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For best consideration, please respond by January 31, 2018. Send letter of application addressing position requirements, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to: Patrick J. Dawson, Director of the Library 353, UMBC 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or AOK@umbc.edu.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time