JOB OPPORTUNITY – Digitization & Metadata Archivist in Alexandria, VA (PT or Project-Based)
The Winthrop Group’s Information & Archival Services Division has an immediate opening for a self-directed Archivist to manage a mass digitization and metadata project of institutional and personal papers. The position requires a detail-oriented and careful individual who will be responsible for creating high-quality results.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
This position will be part of a team and will require collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. The Archivist will be responsible for
• Putting in order and preparing items to be scanned at high-resolution
• Using appropriate scanning equipment (e.g., flatbed; document scanner with feeder; large format flatbed; slide scanner; book scanner; etc.) to scan items
• Inspecting and correcting scanned images to ensure they are digitized accurately, consistently and clearly and OCR’d when needed
• Embedding metadata into scanned images via Adobe Bridge
• Updating inventory and conducting quality control reviews
• Drafting brief collection statements to accompany digitized collections.
• MLS/MLIS or MA in history
• Detail-oriented and proficient in finding practical solutions
• Excellent organizational skills
• Familiarity with digitization workflows and descriptive metadata
• Strong and effective written and verbal communications skills
• Experience working with rare, fragile and oversized materials
• Ability to work hard and fast with minimal supervision
• Willingness to provide rigorous quality control review
• Familiarity with scanning systems, file formats, bit depth, image resolution, etc.
This is a project-based part-time position with possibility of extension after successful completion of this work. Compensation is based upon experience and qualifications.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references (including names, titles, postal and e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers) to David Kay at email@example.com
Review of resumes will begin immediately with anticipated start date in early November.
Here’s a link to the job posting on our webpage: http://winthropgroup.