The Data Management Services Manager manages the operations of the JHU Data
Management Services including: a) team of three or more data management
specialists that provide data management planning, training, and archiving
services and support to researchers across Johns Hopkins University, b)
availability of systems and applications used to provide services including
the JHU Data Archive, and c) new and ongoing collaboration and partnerships
with other departments and units across JHU. The Manager also provides
consultative data management planning, training, and archiving support to JHU
researchers as needed.
JHU Data Management Services Team and Service Operations Management
* Recruits, trains, and supervises team of three or more data management specialists and experts, including goal setting, performance management, and development.
* Promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
* Establishes and documents policies and service level expectations.
* Oversees benchmarking and ongoing assessment of consulting, training, and archiving services to inform service development.
* Coordinates with technical staff supporting the JHUDMS services, including the repository, to track downtime, scheduling of outages, development of workflows, etc.
* Directs all marketing activities for the unit by monitoring ongoing outreach to constituencies, assessing outreach efforts, and planning for regular and targeted marketing and communication efforts to grow service use.
* Manages all reporting and communications on the unit’s progress with the Head of the Entrepreneurial Library Program.
* Works with Head of the Entrepreneurial Library program on budgeting, contractual and legal matters.
Data Management Services Planning and Development
* Collaborates with the Head of ELP to shape long-term strategic goals and identify annual top initiatives and projects.
* Manages scoping and development of annual initiatives drawing on project management best practices and planning to achieve success.
* Oversees progress of all projects and supports project teams.
* Manages ongoing development and growth of the DMS training and outreach programs, identifying relevant and impactful training topics, delivery mechanisms, and resourcing needs
* Directs ongoing development of the data management consulting services and the resources available through the website.
* Contributes to the shaping of the development and sustainability of the JHU Data Archive, including evaluation of software and service technologies and options, funding models, and staffing.
* Seeks and builds partnerships with other service units across Johns Hopkins to maintain and grow the integration of services in keeping with the One University strategic goal.
* Stays abreast of trends and issues in data management planning, sharing, and curation including data management expectations and policies across funders and publishers, to proactively watch for opportunities to inform service development.
* Partners with the Head of the Entrepreneurial Library Program to develop and manage external partnerships.
Provision of Data Management Planning Services
* Manages inquiries from researchers for data management planning support.
* Provides consultative support to PIs including evaluation of data planning needs, assessing short and long term options and benefits, catering planning to specific granting agency requirements, and editing data management plans.
* Identifies data standards, metadata standards, best practices for data management, etc. to continuously build expertise and improve provision of service.
* Maintains knowledge on a broad range of data repositories including their submission, Intellectual Property, and use arrangements, and provide guidance on repository selection for deposit.
* Develops and delivers data management training programs.
* Collaborates with others in the library to effectively communicate services to faculty, researchers, and departments.
Master’s degree in Health Sciences, Science, Engineering or Library Science. A
minimum of five (5) years combined of library, information technology,
informatics, and/or scientific research experience. Two years (2) years of
management or supervisory experience preferred.
Special Skills and Knowledge:
* Knowledge of data repository applications, platforms, and technologies.
* Experience managing relationships and/or partnerships with other institutions or vendors a plus.
* Experience leading and managing service, product or project teams required.
* Experience working with scientific data management and/or curation required.
* Superb people and diplomacy skills, strong team-orientation, and professional attitude.
* Clear and consistent communicator skilled in networking and outreach efforts.
* Good listener and skilled negotiator with a high degree of customer orientation.
* Strong writing skills.
* Highly organized and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
* Strong project planning, management, and execution skills.
* Must be self-motivated, pro-active, willing to take on new challenges and solve problems.