At BCPL, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 11 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL in this position.
40 Hours per week. Normally worked Monday-Friday.
– Strong management and leadership skills. Management experience desired.
– Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
– Creative problem solver and willing risk taker.
– Excellent time management and delegation skills.
– Excellent team player, both within the department and across departments and branches.
– Recruits, hires, trains and evaluates clerical and shipping staff in Collection Development.
– Works with the Collection Development Manager to maintain budget records.
– Meets regularly with Virtual and Media Services and Marketing staff regarding web content and marketing initiatives and adds collection development content accordingly.
– Coordinates and schedules all Outreach and training, including but not limited to: Book -Buzz, Genre Bootcamp, and any outreach events where assistance can be provided to the branches.
– Maintains electronic resources statistics and works with Collection Development Manager to analyze.
– Manages and triages all customer requests for purchase.
– Maintains department scheduling, both in house and in terms of Outreach.
– Exercises appropriate authority in enforcing library rules and policies.
– Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, professional affiliations and other means to keep abreast of current and emerging trends.
– Actively participates on teams, committees and in work groups.
– High school diploma, Bachelor Degree preferred.
– Minimum of one year supervisory experience strongly preferred.
– Must have a Maryland driver’s licenses in good standing.
– Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. and push/pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
– Ability to bend, kneel, crouch and stretch for up to 5 minutes at a time.
– Ability to stand and/or walk for up to 2 hours at a time.
– Ability to read small print.
– Ability to write and speak clearly and effectively.
– Ability to stay calm under pressure.
– Ability to seek effective solutions.
– Demonstrates initiative, flexibility and creativity.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Polaris or similar ILS systems a plus
– Knowledge of budgeting a plus.
– Ability to communicate effectively and exercise good judgment when handling difficult situations.
– Ability to make presentations to the public and perform outreach activities.
Please Note: This position closes on January 1, 2019.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes 4 weeks of vacation,sick and personal leave,subsidized health care options,
pension eligibility, and related benefits.
To apply, please visit:
Collection Development Support Supervisor-Admin Offices (Towson)