Darnall Medical Library, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC), Bethesda, MD, is looking for an experienced and dynamic clinical librarian to continue to build our very successful clinical service. This is a federal GS-12 position with a starting salary of $79,720. The job announcement will be open Friday, November 10, 2017 – Monday, November 27, 2017, on USAJOBS.gov at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484090400.
The clinical librarian provides direct support to the Internal Medicine Graduate Medical Education program and to the Medical Intensive Care Unit, rounding 3-4 days a week, conducting patient-specific clinical searches, collaborating on systematic reviews and other research projects, and participating in clinically relevant forums such as morning report and journal club. Educational services include developing curriculum-based instruction on evidence-based practice in collaboration with Graduate Medical Education and other medical and nursing educational activities. The successful candidate must have experience at a teaching hospital, university hospital, or academic health sciences institution.
An HR specialist – not a librarian – will be the first person to evaluate your resume. The library only receives a list of candidates the HR specialist forwards to us for consideration. For best results, follow the application tips below.
- Complete the online resume form provided in USAJOBS. You can send your existing resume or CV as supplemental material, but fill out the online resume form. Be sure to send all required documents.
- Do not approach the online resume as a CV. The HR specialist only considers the job duties you list under your job titles to determine if you meet the qualifications of the position. The specialist does not look at other sections such as publications, continued training, classes taught, or committee memberships to evaluate your qualifications.
- Let your official position description be your guide to writing your job duties. Be explicit. Tell what you do in as much detail as possible. Do not assume the HR specialist will know.
- Use the verbiage from the job announcement in your resume. The HR specialist does not know synonyms from our field or other ways of expressing concepts.
- Under the “Qualifications” heading, you will see a section on “Specialized Experienced.” Your job duties MUST address this specialized experience. If your job duties do not reflect the ALL of the specialized experience, the HR specialist will judge you unqualified.
Please consider bringing your talents to WRNMMC to help care for our nation’s Uniformed Services, returning war heroes, and their families. Hospital staff and leadership are extremely supportive of the library and will value and welcome your contributions. The library director, Kimberly Adams, will be happy to field inquiries about the clinical librarian position at email@example.com or 301-400-3041, but all candidates must apply through USAJOBS.gov. Good luck!