Application Period: January 16 – 22, 2020
Work Schedule: Mon & Wed: 3-7pm; Sat 10-2pm
Job Summary: Provides a wide range of administrative and clerical support duties. Assists library customers with general requests and inquires.
- Serves as front desk support (e.g. answers phones and greets public) and provides assistance to library customers.
- Performs routine data entry including entering customer information into library database.
- Creates and maintains office files and department records appropriately.
- Maintains display areas and posts community notices.
- Sorts library materials and places items back on appropriate shelves.
- Maintains neat and organized workspace and ensures customer materials are returned to proper locations at the end of each day.
- Collects customer fines/fees as needed.
- Communicates with internal and external customers.
- Coordinates and distributes office supply orders as needed.
- Acts as an ambassador and advocate for the library.
- Attends meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Minor (14-17) with work permit; high school diploma / GED.
- One year of related experience including working in a library setting preferred.
- Basic cash handling experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gain working knowledge of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s practices, policies and procedures.
- Ability to act as a representative of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s to the public.
- Ability to shelve 100 books per hour.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and with volunteers.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Word, electronic databases, e-mail, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.