At BCPL, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 10 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL in this position.
This is a full time position, working 40 hours a week with some evenings and weekends.
– Takes an active role in recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating circulation staff.
– Accurately assesses staff abilities.
– Develops staff strengths and coaches to improve performance.
– Works in collaboration with the Branch Manager to set performance expectations and customer service goals for circulation staff.
– Mentors, develops and works closely with the Assistant Circulation Manager.
– Works in collaboration with the management team to ensure that high quality customer service is delivered to customers.
– Assists customers at public service desk and resolves complex customer account transactions.
– Works with other in-charge staff to address time-sensitive security and facilities issues.
– Models continuous learning and encourages and supports continuous staff development.
– Generates and submits reports to Fiscal Services, Human Resources and Administrative Offices.
– Assists in monitoring the work of contractual staff.
– Actively supports teamwork and the policies and values of the Baltimore County Public Library.
– Performs all essential circulation staff functions as determined by branch and system needs.
– Demonstrates BCPL’s Workplace Competencies and proficiency in Core Services.
– Graduation from high school or high school equivalency. A college degree is desirable
Comprehensive knowledge of public library circulation operations acquired through four years of progressively increasing work responsibilities in a public library environment.
– One year of supervisory experience is preferred.
– A commitment to excellent customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
– Substantial experience using an ILS, Polaris experience preferred.
– Ability to stand at a public service desk for lengthy periods of time and move throughout the branch, the ability to bend, lift up to 25 pounds and push or pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 pounds.
– Ability to bend, kneel, crouch, and stretch for extended periods of time.
– Ability to establish and maintain respectful relationships with customers, co-workers and community groups.
– Ability to handle multiple priorities, tasks and emergencies in a fast paced environment.
– Demonstrate effective written and verbal communications skills.
– Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers.
– Must pass post-offer criminal background screening.
Please Note: This position closes on June 7, 2019.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes 4 weeks of vacation,sick and personal leave,subsidized health care options,
pension eligibility, and related benefits.