The analyst performs regular tasks and special projects involving the library collection, extraction, analysis, and dissemination of system generated data; maintenance and administration of the Polaris Integrated Library System (ILS), and database management.
Application Period: Posted: February 4, 2019. Closing Date: March 1, 2019
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to the Virtual Services Manager
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but may serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
Plan Data Collection.
- Provide input about the best data to provide answers to business questions
- If the necessary data is not currently being collected, devise means for collecting the data
- Make recommendations for changes to data collection methods in order to improve data quality and the efficiency of data system
Collect and Analyze Data.
- Gather information from various sources that might help HCPL staff to better understand our situation and then study the data to make sense of the data
- Identify and interpret patterns and trends in data sets; assess data quality and eliminate irrelevant data.
- During research, may seek out experts in the area related to the problem to learn more about it and potential solutions
- Translate data into pictures and Plain English
- Communicate the results of data analysis for a variety of audiences – colleagues, trustees, elected officials, the community
- Design reports and include data visualization techniques that can help stakeholders to easily comprehend the meaning of the data using statistics, graphs, images, tables, charts, etc.
Library Information System Administration.
- Manage and maintain ILS functionality and system access
- Determine best practice for ILS systems upgrades and software implementation
- Work with stakeholders and vendors to improve services through system refinements, enhancements, and innovation
- Monitor database performance and accuracy
- Develop and maintain database backup and recovery plans and procedures
- Configure and manage system data loads and third-party software connections
Other Duties as Assigned to include:
- Provide excellent customer service
- Develop and maintain documentation relating to assigned workflows
- Create, maintain, and lead programming, workshops, seminars and trainings for HCPL employees and customers relating to the analyst areas of expertise
- Serves on committees and participates in workshops, seminars, and training as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar field of study – OR – Equivalent combination of PMI Business Analyst Certificate (or similar) and relevant professional experience.
- 2 – 5 years of relevant professional experience to include providing one-on-one customer support; Public library experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with no more than three points.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Statistics and Data Analysis, required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft SQL and relational database structure, required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Word, Excel, and Access, required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Integrated Library Systems, preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Tableau, preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret data and analyze results using statistical and reporting packages, required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a creative and highly productive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with customers.
- Ability to work day, evening and weekend hours and “on call” for emergencies.
- Work requires occasional physical effort in handling of light materials, up to 30 pounds, in non-strenuous work environment. For example, set up and take down of tables, chairs or other equipment for meetings or events, pushing/pulling of library carts.
- Requires sitting and use of computer and keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Observes safe work place practices with uncluttered workspace, including office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, proper lifting techniques and following fire regulations.
- Ability to travel to branch/outside locations is required.
In addition to the specific duties and responsibilities of this job, it is the responsibility of every employee to comply with the Harford County Public Library’s Values statement, customer service guidelines, and all other policies detailed in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The library administration reserves the right to change, modify, delete, and supplement job duties based on the organization’s needs.
This and all library positions are eligible for system-wide transfer.
To apply, please visit: