We are now accepting applications for the Branch Manager position at the Ocean City branch library.
Job Title: Branch Manager
County Pay Grade 19; starting salary is $43,659 and there is a full benefit package including health insurance and participation in the Maryland State Retirement System. This is a full-time, 40-hour per week senior branch library management position, reporting to the library director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the operation of a branch library
- Provides direct service, including library instruction, to library customers of all ages
- Schedules, supervises, trains, and evaluates branch staff
- Coordinates and oversees the development and marketing of the branch library’s collection of materials, including selection, promotion, evaluation, and de-selection.
- Plans, coordinates, promotes and may present library programs for children and adults
- Represents the County library on committees, professional organizations, regional associations, etc.
- Works with government, community, and civic organizations in the branch library’s service area
- Conducts training for other County library staff, in coordination with the director or assistant director
- Must meet continuing education requirements as mandated by the Maryland State Department of Education
Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited institution, and 1 year of supervisory experience working in a public library, or Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of experience working in public library with 1 year of supervisory experience
- Thorough understanding of the principles and practice of public library service
- Thorough knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written and an ability to promote and encourage teamwork and cooperation
- Ability to lead, to work as a team member and to be flexible and creative in a changing environment
Physical demands of position include:
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, and stooping
- Bending/twisting and reaching
- Talking and hearing; use of the telephone
- Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less
- Handling: processing, picking up and shelving books
- Fingering: typing, writing, filing, sorting, shelving and processing
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels
- Mobility: travel to meetings outside library
- Oral communications skills necessary to make presentations, participate in television and radio programs, and conduct formal library programs.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with multi-level staff, patrons, and community group members from all socioeconomic, educational, literacy, and cultural backgrounds.
- Community outreach skills to be able to build relationships with community partners.
- Organizational skills to be able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a busy public library.
- Critical thinking skills to be able to solve problems and make sound decisions on a daily basis.
- Ability to effectively and positively represent the library before community groups and the public, consistent with the library’s vision, mission, and strategic plan.
- Honesty, integrity, ability to maintain confidentiality, and responsible stewardship of County resources.
- Time management: set priorities in order to meet assignment deadlines.
To apply for this position, please complete a library application form (available at any branch library and on the library’s website: www.WorcesterLibrary.org), along with a cover letter and resume, if you wish, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
Open until filled.