At Baltimore County Public Library, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating gracious library spaces. We circulate over 10 million items and provide library services through our 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and a growing virtual online presence. We contribute to the success of Baltimore County by being a place that supports diversity and inclusion through acceptance, dialogue, and collaboration. If you are enthusiastic, self-motivated, and open to new ideas consider joining the Baltimore County Public Library team as a full-time Branch Manager II.
· Under the general direction of an Assistant Director manages the day-to-day branch operations including information, circulation, programming, and outreach services.
· Serves as the branch leader in gaining commitment for BCPL’s strategic plan, implementing changes in library service, and communicating a shared vision for standout user experiences.
· Builds and maintains effective work relations with staff, customers, administration, and the community.
· Responsible for supervising, training, and evaluating the work performance of staff. Creates a work environment that fosters continuous improvement and values teamwork. Demonstrates a commitment to guiding staff in their professional growth and supporting system-wide succession planning efforts.
· Seeks to make a distinctive and lasting impact on the community by engaging with customers and stakeholders to ensure that BCPL delivers on its mission.
· Engages in direct public service and develops and maintains a thorough understanding of BCPL rules and policies and ensures their appropriate application to customer service transactions.
· Uses management and technology skills to improve branch efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of services.
· Enforces library rules and policies and handles security issues and emergency situations.
· Monitors the use of library services and branch spaces and makes recommendations for changes and new services.
· Actively participates on system-wide teams and promotes the Library in the community.
· MLS from an ALA accredited school and comprehensive knowledge of public library operations acquired through eight years of progressively responsible work experience in a public library and three years of supervisory experience.
· A commitment to excellent customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
· Experience using various technologies including Polaris, online databases, E-books, and Microsoft applications
· Ability to stand and walk for lengthy periods of time and the ability to bend, lift up to 25 lbs. and push/pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
· Ability to establish and maintain respectful relationships with customers, co-workers and community groups.
· Ability to handle multiple priorities and emergencies in a fast paced environment.
· Possess strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrates flexibility, initiative and creativity.
· Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system and work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends.
· Must pass post offer criminal background screening.
Benefit package includes: Four weeks of vacation; sick and personal leave; subsidized health care coverage; pension eligibility; and other benefits.
Annualized Salary: $79,052 – $105,891, commensurate with experience.
To apply: Send an email to email@example.com and attach two documents:
1) a completed BCPL employment application which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs
2) your cover letter and resume as one PDF document.
Include your last name in the title of the documents. Indicate the job title Branch Manager II in the subject line of your email.
Application deadline: July 5, 2018 Vacancy #: 2018-138