At Baltimore County Public Library, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, developing innovative learning environments, and creating gracious library spaces. We circulate over 11 million items and provide library services through our 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and a growing virtual online presence. If you are enthusiastic, self-motivated, and open to new ideas consider joining the Baltimore County Public Library team as a full-time Assistant Library Manager II.
- Works in collaboration with the Branch Manager to set performance expectations and customer service goals for librarian staff.
- Actively contributes to the branch management team to ensure that high quality library services and resources are delivered to customers.
- Leads staff by modeling the appropriate workplace behaviors and effectively communicating with staff regarding individual and team expectations.
- Recruits, trains, supervises and evaluates librarian staff. Accurately assesses staff abilities. Develops staff strengths and coaches staff to improve performance.
- Oversees the provision of information service, readers’ advisory service, and programming/outreach services to users of varied ages, cultures and skill levels.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of information resources and materials that are used by customers.
- Demonstrates effective communication and relationship building skills with diverse customers and staff.
- Demonstrates commitment to teamwork by engaging in respectful and productive work relationships.
- Seeks creative and appropriate solutions to address varying branch and system operational needs.
- Embraces productive change and demonstrates flexibility in response to changing community needs.
- Exercises good judgment when making decisions and applying policies to workplace issues.
- Models continuous learning and holds staff accountable to continued professional development.
- In the absence of the Branch Manager, assumes manager duties when necess
- MLS from an ALA accredited school and comprehensive knowledge of public library operations acquired through four years of progressively responsible work experience in a public library and one year of supervisory experience.
- Experience using various technologies such as Polaris or a similar ILS, online databases, E-books, iPads, Google Drive and Microsoft applications.
- Physical ability to stand at a public service desk for 2-4 hours at a time, push carts and shelve materials. Physical ability to bend, lift up to 25 lbs. and push/pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers.
- Must pass a post offer physical/drug screening and a criminal background check.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes: four weeks of vacation, sick and personal leave, subsidized health care coverage, pension eligibility, and other benefits. Annualized Salary Range: $58,967 – 79,052, commensurate with experience.
Email your cover letter and resume as one PDF document to email@example.com. If you are an external candidate you must also attach an Employment Application which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs. Include your last name in the title of each document. Clearly indicate Assistant Library Manager II in the subject line of your email
Document must be received by: September 8, 2017