At Baltimore County Public Library, staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating gracious library spaces. We circulate over 10 million items and provide library services through our 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and a growing virtual online presence. We contribute to the success of Baltimore County by being a place that supports diversity and inclusion through acceptance, dialogue, and collaboration. If you are enthusiastic, self-motivated, and open to new ideas consider joining the Baltimore County Public Library team as a full-time Assistant Circulation Manager II.
- Under the general direction of the Circulation Services Manager, assists in the overall operations of the Circulation Department in a branch library.
- Participates in the supervision, training, and performance evaluation of part-time circulation staff and demonstrates a commitment to guiding staff in their professional growth.
- Assists the Circulation Manager in the development and implementation of circulation practices that are aligned with BCPL’s customer service philosophy and strategic direction.
- Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of BCPL rules and policies and ensures their appropriate application to customer service transactions.
- As a member of the library management team; plans, organizes, and communicates workplace changes.
- Uses management and technology tools to improve efficiency and ensure excellent customer service.
- Enforces library rules and policies and handles security issues and emergency situations as necessary.
- Actively participates on system-wide teams and promotes the Library in the community.
- Graduation from high school or high school equivalency is required. A college degree is desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of public library circulation operations acquired through four years of progressively increasing work responsibilities in a public library environment. One year of supervisory experience is preferred.
- Substantial experience using an ILS is required with Polaris experience preferred.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications is required. Additional technology experience using Google Drive or other cloud applications, scheduling software, and mobile technology is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Must possess effective problem solving skills and the ability to exercise good judgment.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to demonstrate flexibility and creativity.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to working productively and respectfully with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to stand at a public service desk for lengthy periods of time, push carts and shelve materials.
- Ability to bend, lift up to 25 lbs. and push/pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, tasks, and emergencies in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to travel throughout the system and work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends.
- Must pass post offer criminal background screening.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes:
Four weeks of vacation; sick and personal leave; subsidized health care coverage; pension eligibility; and other benefits.
Annualized Salary: $38,049 – $50,979 commensurate with experience.
Send an email to email@example.com and attach two documents:
1) a completed BCPL employment application which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs
2) your cover letter and resume as one PDF document. Include your last name in the title of the documents.
Indicate the job title: Assistant Circulation Manager II in the subject line of your email.
Application Deadline: October 11,2018