Graduate Student Intern – Archivist/Digital Curator – Verisign – Reston, VA
For more than 20 years, Verisign has been a global leader in domain names and Internet security, enabling Internet navigation for many of the world’s most recognized domain names and provides protection for websites and enterprises around the world. Verisign ensures the security, stability and resiliency of key Internet infrastructure and services, including the .com and .net domains and two of the Internet’s root servers.
This newly created part time/intern Archivist and Digital Curator focuses on the creation, management, use, long-term preservation, and access to records and information in both analog and digital. This position will establish an electronic cataloging system to ensure titles are accurately represented and to facilitate discovery and immediate access by Verisign staff.
- Partner with the information data team to establish a system cataloging, identifying and retrieving records and information such as current and historical contracts, agreements, policies, external presentations, scripts (examples include earning’s calls and congressional testimony), research papers, reports, material shipped off to Iron Mt or otherwise warehoused, etc. (physical and electronic – including email and other record retention documentation)
- Hold primary responsibility for completeness and accuracy of archive holdings and develop protocols for access control (public, employee, restricted)
- Provides training when needed to Verisign employees on usage of materials
- Participates in the development of archive policies
- Participates in the evaluation of library services and resources and keeps abreast of new developments in the digital archive community
- Bachelor’s Degree and obtaining a Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited library program, or a Master’s degree in a related information field
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic organizational, descriptive, structural metadata standards and best practices
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-motivated and work creatively, independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrate excellent analytical, problem-solving skills, and computer/technological skills, including project management
- Demonstrate a strong service-orientation, forward thinking and flexible
- Demonstrate effective oral, written communication and interpersonal skills
Please send all responses to firstname.lastname@example.org