This position is located in the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections (RRFAC), Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, Smithsonian Institution. The incumbent applies comprehensive and current archival principles, concepts, standards, best practices, and methodologies to identify and assess the Archives’ archival audiovisual recordings and develops, implements, and sustains a sound archival and sustainable collections management plan.
- Reviews, evaluates, documents, recommends, develops and implements current and emerging standards for the preservation, description and access of audiovisual archival materials in a wide variety of digital and analog formats.
- Procures and maintains equipment and special supplies for preserving and providing access to the RRFAC’s audiovisual materials.
- Identifies, surveys, evaluates, assesses, and prioritizes the current backlog of audiovisual items, series, and collections.
- Processes archival collections with audiovisual materials by organizing, arranging, describing, and preparing EAD finding aids according to current archival standards.
- Reviews and documents restrictions, permission issues and copyright for audiovisual materials.
Conditions of Employment
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
Experience: You Qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivelent to at least the GS-9 level in the Federal Service or comparale pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as experience performing audiovisual preservation projects for an organization involving ethnographic and ethnomusicological collections using criteria such as format type, conservation requirements, and historical importance to perform archival appraisal, arrangement, and description.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s or equivalent degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the “Required Documents” section of this announcement.
Open & closing dates: 11/19/2018 to 11/23/2018
Salary: $68,036 to $88,450 per year
To apply, visit: