Archives Specialist (1-year term position, up to 19.5 hours per week)
The Loyola Notre Dame Library seeks a collaborative individual to support the Archives and Special Collections department. The Archives Specialist makes it possible for students, faculty, and external researchers to gain access to the Library’s archival and rare book collections through timely and effective archival description. The Archives Specialist will also assist with other routine activities of the department, including public services, environmental monitoring, and outreach initiatives. The Archives Specialist will report to the Head of Archives and Special Collections. This is a part-time position of up to 19.5 hours per week. It is a one-year term position with the possibility of extension.
- Assess collections, create processing plans, and process collections in consultation with Archives colleagues
- Create finding aids using ArchivesSpace, utilizing best practices established by the department
- Participate in public services duties, such as monitoring the reading room
- Participate in outreach activities, such as promotion of the Archives via social media and the library website
- Assist in gathering, reporting, and analyzing data from environmental monitoring systems
- Assist in the management of the rare book collection
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a focus on commitment to delivering high quality customer service
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to achieve objectives
- Proficiency in use of the Microsoft Windows operating system, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledge of archival standards and practices through education and/or work experience
- Experience in a related position where knowledge of technical rules and standards for archival arrangement and description were required
- Previous experience using ArchivesSpace, Preservica, or other archives information management systems
- Experience working with digital collections
About the Library:
The Loyola Notre Dame Library, located in northern Baltimore City, is a member of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions and serves Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. The library serves as an integral part of the campuses by providing information services and resources to support the academic programs and educational concerns of the two
institutions. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning. Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a student population of 6,160 FTE.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) references with “Archives Specialist” in the subject line to Lorena Dion, Administrative Operations Coordinator: email@example.com