The Loyola Notre Dame Library is looking for an enthusiastic, customer service oriented, and responsible individual to join our Collections and Access Services Department as the Access Services Supervisor/ Reserves Assistant. Reporting to the Access Services Librarian, this position supervises the Help Desk Tuesday through Saturday, 7:30 am–3:30 pm. Hours vary during summer and intersessions. The successful candidate will assist library patrons by circulating material, providing information services support, troubleshooting technology and hardware problems, and ensuring building security. The Access Services Supervisor / Reserves Assistant also supervises student employees, manages stacks maintenance, maintains relevant departmental statistics, leads Library reserves, and completes other duties as assigned.
- Opens the Library and serves as the Help Desk supervisor Tuesday through Saturday from 7:30am–3:30pm. Ensures that the library building is comfortable and secure for patrons in collaboration with Loyola Public Safety.
- Manages circulation functions and assists with print accounts for library users.
- Trains and supervises Help Desk student employees in collaboration with the Access Services Librarian. Creates training materials as needed for student employees.
- Leads the reserves processes by working with faculty to provide access to classroom materials for students.
- Assists the Interlibrary Loan unit with processing borrowing requests using resource sharing management systems and scanning equipment.
- Coordinates shelving, shelf-reading, inventorying, shifting and cleaning of library materials with students.
- Assists patrons in locating materials, providing appropriate referrals for research support to reference librarians or 24/7 virtual reference where necessary.
- Provides technical support for equipment.
- Participates in data collection for circulation and reserves.
- Serves on library and other committees as appropriate. Attends training classes, seminars, and meetings to increase skills and keep up to date on library circulation trends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of customer service experience in a library or comparable public service environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, with a focus on commitment to delivering high quality customer service.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to be creative and work independently with little supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile statistics using established software.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of email systems, internet web browsers, and desktop office applications including Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to adapt to changes in policies, procedures, and technology.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, with or without accommodation, in support of LNDL projects.
- Experience providing high quality customer service in an academic library with a demonstrated understanding of academic library functions and standards and the Library of Congress Classification System;
- Working knowledge of integrated library systems including Aleph and ILLiad;
- Experience supporting the use of technology in multiple formats, including high speed scanners, 3D printers, and microform readers;
- Experience working with faculty reserves;
- Experience supervising student workers.
About the Library:
The Loyola Notre Dame Library, located in northern Baltimore City, is a member of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions and serves Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. The library serves as an integral part of the campuses by providing information services and resources to support the academic programs and educational concerns of the two institutions. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning. Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a student population of approximately 6,100 FTE.
The Library offers an excellent benefits package that includes medical, access to dental, life, and disability insurance, as well as TIAA retirement. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre‐employment background check.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) work-related references with “Access Services Supervisor / Reserves Assistant” in the subject line to Lorena Dion, Administrative Operations Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the website: